Contributor post by Michelle of EviesToolEmporium
1. What is your favorite vacation destination and why? Where exactly in the world is it located?
Crater Lake, a National Park here in the Cascade mountain range of Oregon.
2. What are several places everyone visiting this destination should see?
The historic lodge, built by the park service in 1915. If you want to stay there you have to make reservations months in advance, but the lobby and veranda are open to visitors. Driving around the rim is wonderful, and if you want to focus on the scenery you can take a trolley tour with a ranger guide, which includes stops for photos around the lake. You can also book a boat tour on the lake, which I have been lucky enough to do when my knees were up to it. It is a mile down a steep trail to get to the boat, and the return hike up is equivalent to 70 flights of stairs.
3. What special customs, traditions, geography, nature etc. are intriguing about this destination?
Crater Lake was formed when a volcano exploded about 7500 years ago and left a huge caldera, which over hundreds of years filled with water to create on of the purest bodies of water on the planet. No river flows in or out of the lake.
4. Where are the hot spots to eat and drink?
Food is managed by the park service, and so a lot of it is not very exciting – the exception was the fine dining in the Lodge was excellent. You can also order appetizers and drinks in the lobby and on the veranda overlooking the lake. A bottle of wine shared while watching the stars (incredible view of the milky way) makes for a special night.
5. Have you been to your favorite vacation destination more than once and will you visit again?
This was my fourth visit, once with young children, several times with teens, and this time with just my hubby. Each experience has been different, including the snow in late June, and the thunderstorm combined with the sunset on my birthday last week.
6. What are your social media sites?