Contributor post by Alicia of AliciasFindings
“Tutorial for Recycled Magazine Paper Phone Stand” by Megha Silvano of byTheArtBug
This is not only Easy to make but also utilizes almost free materials and on top of that it is a very useful and unisex item.
- Old Magazine Paper
- Cardboard 5″ by 5″ Piece
- Craft Glue
- Hot Glue Gun
- Cut a 3″ by 3″ piece from the cardboard(You can measure the width of your phone and cut the size accordingly, keeping it about 1.5 cm extra).
- Take Magazine Paper and cut it into 1.5 cm (0.590551 inch) wide strips. you will need about 6-7 strips.
- Glue the strips randomly to the cardboard piece slightly. overlapping, see the picture, cut off the strips leaving about 1.5″ extra from the edge of the cardboard.
- Fold the strips on the reverse side and glue.
- Your base is now ready.
- Now take the magazine paper sheet and start rolling it tightly (diagonally) to make paper Sticks like this.
- After rolling a bit keep spreading glue in between so later when you cut the strip it won’t open up,make 5-6 rolls.
- Let the Sticks dry completely before moving onto the next step.
- Now cut off the extreme ends of the strips as these are a bit fragile (about 2-2.5″).
- You will have to follow this with every paper stick you use.
- Cut four small pieces from this to make the sides of the base, remember two sticks that go in between will be slightly shorter in length. For this you will have to use hot glue.
- For the back take a long stick,cut the ends and fold it in half making V shape.you can also determine the height according to your liking.
- Trim the ends of the V to make diagonal cuts to glue it more securely, this will also keep the back slightly slant.
- Using hot glue stick this at one side of your base which you want to be the back of your stand.
- Now cut three pieces as in the picture to give a bit more style to your stand, glue these to the back.
- You can add one more V to the back. Don’t forget to diagonally trim the ends for this too.
- You are now done! To further preserve and make it water-resistant you can coat your Phone Stand with paper varnish.
Social Media Sites:
Google+ – https://plus.google.com/+TheArtBug/posts