Contributor post by Jennifer of CaffeinatedPapercuts
Today we’re off to the United Kingdom to visit Tola Lasiende from DetolaAndGeek!
1. What city do you live in? What makes it special? I live in Letchworth Garden City. What makes it stand out is – It’s the first Garden City in the world.
2. What are several places everyone visiting your country should see? Well London is always the first choice for most tourists as you have tons of exciting landmarks & tourist attractions like: London Eye London Aquarium The Southbank stretch (along river Thames) Selfridges Hop on the train to other interesting towns & cities like Letchworth Garden City (and it’s a town, people often think it’s a city). We do have a ‘Tourist Office’ bang in the town Centre (a min or two walk from the train station). There you can pick up loads of information, town & local maps and the staff are ever so friendly and will help you with any questions you may have. Trust me you won’t be disappointed. In Letchworth, we have: The 1st UK roundabout Beautiful tree-lined streets Art Deco Cinema (The Broadway Cinema) Art Deco Library (Letchworth Library) The Letchworth Heritage Museum Letchworth Outdoor Swimming Pool Letwirth Common (Nature Reserve)
3. How have the customs, traditions, geography, nature etc. inspired the items you create? I have two nationalities – was born in the UK (Leeds to be precise) and my parents are from Nigeria. So I am what is coined as ‘British-Nigerian’. I’ve grown up in both countries and my handmade products are a fusion of my African background as well as my British roots. Ever since I was little, even growing up in Yorkshire, I have loved the colourful African print fabrics my Mum used to wear. I was so fascinated by them and I still am.
4. What are you doing this fall to drive your business in your community? Are you doing a festival or show? How do you reach out to your community? I usually attend Handmade fairs that are local to me. Not done any festivals or big shows per se (due to Health reasons I can’t be outdoors all day, standing in the same spot). But will aim at maybe ones aren’t a whole day outdoor affair! But I will be exhibiting at the Letchworth Arts Centre’s Christmas fair this year, should be exciting. It lasts for a few weeks so a good way to display my products to the community and generate more awareness of what I do (and ultimately to make sales!).
5. What are your social media sites?