Contributor post by Natalie
Please join us in welcoming Little Me Bling, our featured member!
- Tell us a bit about yourself
I am a mother of 2 (Evan – 4 and Aletta – 1) and wife to a wonderful husband who has supported Little Me Bling from the beginning. We live near Madison, Wisconsin in a ranch style house that is just big enough for the 2 kids and 3 kitties. My craft room is overflowing with items (and ideas)! My favorite season is fall where the air is crisp and the smells and sounds of leaves are all around. My husband and I have been doing a getaway from life trip for the last couple years to northern WI and try to plan it when the fall colors are at peak. It is just breathtaking!
- When did you open your business and what made you decide to do so?
I started Little Me Bling after buying a few headbands and then discovering that there was a whole marketplace for supplies. After posting pictures to Facebook with some of my first items and getting asked if they were for sale, I opened my Etsy shop in June 2013.
- What makes your business stand out from others?
I use fabric yoyos in a lot of my designs. I have had a few orders where the mom has given me some scrap fabric from a dress or outfit for their little ones and I have made a perfectly matched headband.
- Tell us a bit about the products you have available.
- Do you offer customization? Custom orders are some of my favorites!
- What are the price range of your items? Single headbands range from $4 – $9. Sets range from $9 to $20.
- What countries do you ship to? United States
- What is your most popular item on Etsy? Simple headbands with one flower are most popular.
- How can people care for your products to ensure they last as long as possible? I found that side Velcro bibs or bibs with snaps will help to ensure that the elastic doesn’t snag.
- What materials do you use and which is your favorite to work with?
Shabby flower, elastic, buttons, fabric yoyos (favorite)
- What inspires your work and new products?
My daughter, Aletta, has been my inspiration all along! Clothing styles inspire my work (I flip through the Carter’s catalogs, Gymboree/Old Navy/Children’s Place/etc website for ideas).
- How would you describe your style? I tend to lean towards vintage.
- Is there someone you look up to and inspires you? My crafting inspiration comes from my family (sisters and mom). We get together on a monthly basis for “Crazy Craft” night where we work on a craft of the month together.
- Tell us a bit about your workspace.
- Do you work out of your home or rent an office/studio for your business? Out of my home. My living room has a corner dedicated to it where I can roll the crafting supplies out after 8:30 (when the kids go to bed). I also have a craft room that is full.
- What is your favourite tool? Yoyo makers
- What do you love about your space and what do you wish you could change? I wish my craft room was double the size and that I could actually work out of it versus in the living room!
- Do you have a favorite artist/genre or tv show to listen to/watch while you work?
- Any great stories about being a crafter that you’d like to share?
My crafting inspiration comes from my family (sisters and mom). We get together on a monthly basis for “Crazy Craft” night where we work on a craft of the month together. Even though I was opposed to the idea in the beginning, it really has turned out to be a fun, bonding experience!
- Why do you believe people should buy handmade, such as your own work, vs buying mass-produced products from box stores.
The care and effort that goes into these products is exceptional. I buy quite frequently from other Etsy shop owners!
- What are your future goals for the business this year and in the coming years? What is your dream?
I would like to increase my exposure to potential customers and thereby increase sales. This will remain a part-time job for a while, but maybe someday, this could be full-time!
- Is this your full-time job or do you have a day job? If so, what do you do for work?
This is my after 8:30pm job. My day job is a supervisor for IT Compliance.
- Do you have any advice for someone thinking of opening their own business?
Do it!!! You are not out anything by trying!
- Any advice for those wanting to sell on Etsy?
- Use your titles and tags to your advantage. When I started out, I was listing my item as “Red White Headband” versus now I list it as “Christmas Red White Peppermint YoYo Pearl Glitter Headband – Gift or Photo Prop – Newborn Infant Baby Toddler Girl Adult Elastic Bow” After I switched my listings to this, I starting getting a lot more hits!
- Join Etsy Teams – More exposure to your items and you might even get some sales out of it!
- When I started, I put the word “SALE” in all of my listings in the title and had a blurb about the sale in the description of the item. When the sale was over, I had to go through and revise 100+ listings! It took forever. There are some products out there that can help with this, but I have not invested. I would advise to either invest, or use your “Info & Appearance” section to your advantage!
- Besides your business, what do you like to do with your time?
I spend a lot of time with my kids. They keep me busy at 1 and 4 years old!
- Where can people find out more about you and your business?
Some fun questions!
- What is your dream vacation? Cruise to the Mediterranean
- What was the last movie you saw in theatres? The last Pirates of the Caribbean (we never get out!!!!)
- Favourite Ice Cream? Dean’s Raspberry Frozen Yogurt
- Coke or Pepsi? Coke
- Rock, paper, scissors or spock? Usually a spur of the moment decision, which apparently I could not make just now!
- Tell us something quicky about yourself: I am an identical twin! My parents found out they were having twins 1.5 days before we were born!
If you would like to be featured, please contact admin Natalie at email@example.com. Please note you must be a member of the CIJ Etsy team to be featured.