Contributor post by Natalie
Please join us in welcoming Corky Crafts, our featured member!
- Tell us a bit about yourself
My favorite season is Spring for summer is so hot in Texas you can’t get out much to do things. I’m married and own 2 dogs and live in the country . I work full time and my Etsy shop is my hobby which I hope to one day quit the day job and make my crafts my full time job.
- When did you open your business and what made you decide to do so? Any new exciting news you’d like to share? What makes your business stand out from others?
I was laid off from my job in 2005 and to make money opened my store online. I had been making crafts for friends and family for over 30+ yrs and worked hard when I opened my Etsy shop in 2009 to get it established and I am still working hard to keep it going.
I make everything by myself and I want my customers to be happy with the items they purchase. I also make pickup available to those who live in the Dallas Fort Worth area so they can save $$ on shipping.
- Tell us a bit about the products you have available.
I make handmade wine cork wreathes and cork crafts. I like to share with others the love of wine and unique one of kind items. I do offer customization in my Christmas ornaments and I try to keep my prices reasonable to keep my customers happy. I have shipped to England, Canada, and all over the United States & Hawaii and due to shipping increases over the years maintain to stay in the USA for shipping for I’d hate to raise my prices in order to accommodate the shipping prices to other countries.
- What materials do you use and which is your favorite to work with?
Wine Corks of course! My shop opened online in 2009 with wine cork wreathes and Christmas ornaments and the ornaments are a tradition I’ve kept going between my late grandmother and myself. I enjoy being able to accommodate customers who have special requests for Christmas items.
- Is there someone you look up to and inspires you?
My late grandmother and I were very close. Her passion of making everything from hand was passed on to me for I learned a lot from her. I wish she could see how well my crafts shop has grown since I went online to sell my products.
- Tell us a bit about your workspace.
My home is my studio, I work out of a spare room in the winter time and in my garage is my workshop. I enjoy creating things that inspire me, nature, sometimes music inspires things I create and most of my ideas come to me while sitting in traffic going to work. I write everything down so I don’t forget.
- Do you have a favorite artist/genre or tv show to listen to/watch while you work?
I watch a lot of TCM & AMC classic movies when I am working. During the holiday season the classic movies White Christmas and Holiday Inn are 2 of my all time favorites.
- Why do you believe people should buy handmade, such as your own work, vs buying mass-produced products from box stores.
My favorite reason to buy handmade is just that – it’s handmade, which means quality and a labor of love was put into the item created. More people appreciate handmade items over mass produced because it’s a one of a kind item and nobody else has it.
- What are your future goals for the business this year and in the coming years? What is your dream?
Someday I’d love to quit my day job and concentrate on things with my crafts full time.
- Is this your full-time job or do you have a day job? If so, what do you do for work?
I’m work for a marketing company, communications/graphics and advertising. My Etsy shop is my extra income.
- Do you have any advice for someone thinking of opening their own business? Any advice for those wanting to sell on Etsy?
Work hard talk about your shop, network within and promote your shop using tools of social media, friends, and family.
- Besides your business, what do you like to do with your time?
I ride horses, train dogs and cook.
Some fun questions!
- What is your dream vacation? I’d love to be able to see Ireland and Scotland one day for I’ve never been to Europe.
- Do you have a favorite Ryan Glosing “hey girl” meme? No can’t think of one yet!
- Favorite Ice Cream? Chocolate Mint
- Coke or Pepsi? Coke
- Rock, paper, scissors or spock? Rock paper scissors Spock!
- Urban or Suburban? Neither Country
- Tell us something quicky about yourself. My friends and family always kid me that I learned all my culture from Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes for I can quote episodes when least expected. Hahaha i.e. nickname “corky”.
If you would like to be featured, please contact admin Natalie at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note you must be a member of the CIJ Etsy team to be featured.